I'm wondering if anyone ever reads this sentence.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Your Weekend Recap: Toasty Joe & Wife Appear On TV. Little Else Goes Right.

Yes, you read that correctly. The picture you see to the left (click to enlarge) was captured upon my review of Saturday morning's encore presentation of Friday night's Rays/Mets tilt. And yes, that circled couple in the CF stands (also indicated by the oh-so-subtle arrows) is none other than Toasty & Flitgirl. Interestingly, when we scored these seats, which are among the more remote reaches of Citi Field's expanse (just to the left of the home run apple), I had no inkling that we might appear on television. Hell, I had a hard enough time seeing home plate. But, there you have it.

Now, if you look hard enough at the picture, you might see that Flitgirl is doing something I'd wager none of the other 38,492 spectators is doing. You guessed right: knitting. In fact, I'll wager she polished off about 1/8 of a sweater between the 3rd and 8th innings. Which I guess is...what....good? By the way, this is the same Flitgirl who, upon attending a Brooklyn Cyclones game with me several years ago, openly wondered whether a batter is out if an opposing team's FAN catches his foul ball. She has improved since then, although:

1. She still thinks Tsuyoshi Shinjo and Armando Benitez are on the Mets.

2. She thinks the Mets acquired Ryan Church and Brian Schneider for someone named either "Miller Lastings" or "Lester Millings."

3. Her entire opinion of David Wright's 2009 season is that he does too much "man-scaping" on his eyebrows.

Well, lest this turn into a "tease the Flitgirl" segment, let me turn my attention to the actual games that were played this weekend. You know, as I posted last week, it's incredible how relaxed and numb I've become to these losses. It's really proving to be true - June 12, 2009 was a watershed moment. Everything else is like cream cheese now. But consider: the Mets are missing their lead-off hitter, their clean-up hitter, their #2 starter, their #3 starter, and their set-up man. How in god's name can any of you expect this team to be slightly better than .500? (Which, conveniently, is what they are). Call me nuts, but I think in a few months' time, the Phillies are going to sorely regret the fact that the Mets are somehow, some way, only 2 measly stinking games out of first right now, when by all rights they should be at least 10 games back. (Hmmmm, I'm not sure what this sensation I am having is - "optimism"? So that's what it feels like).

Incidentally, I was reading the Daily News Yankee blog this morning (call it schaddenfreude), and I discovered that there were apparently a few epic brawls in the stands at last night's Yanks-Marlins suckfest. Diligent reporter that I am, I immediately ran a search on YouTube for "yankees marlins fight." Oh, my. This is like the Citizen Kane of fan brawl videos. Seriously, you've got it all: Alcohol. Female involvement. Miami's finest arriving a few minutes too late. And, last but not least, a solitary, crying child, imploring daddy to explain why he's fighting. Scorcese couldn't have directed this any better.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Fighting Hellfish said...

I was at the game on Friday night and I saw offered for sale in the Mets' store a game worn Aaron Heilman jersey. Needless to say, there was not a big line of fans seeking to purchase it.

11:30 AM

 
Blogger Dominick said...

Awful brawl. Was there a point to characterizing the Yankee fans as "morbidly obese?" The fattest one didn't even fight. Need I remind you the most memorable Mets fan we sat next to at the games we saw in high school, to quote Alan from The Hangover, a "re-tard." Stop throwing pebbles.

1:05 PM

 
Blogger Toasty Joe said...

Oh dear. Was that the chunky, pale, spastic kid who was spilling ice cream on himself in the left field mezzanine at Shea, circa 1990? Haven't thought about that genetic mutation in many years.

1:47 PM

 
Blogger matt said...

TJ: We gave you love. (blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marlins)

6:34 PM

 
Blogger Sassdawg. said...

Thinking I'm ready for some football

10:01 PM

 
Blogger Mikey P said...

We want a POST! WE WANT A POST!

11:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home